Don Tapscott & Alex Tapscott:
Canadian Technology Trailblazers
Canada Crush episode 06 features an interview with Don Tapscott & Alex Tapscott, the co-authors of the book BLOCKCHAIN REVOLUTION: HOW THE TECHNOLOGY BEHIND BITCOIN IS CHANGING MONEY, BUSINESS AND THE WORLD.
This conversation took place at the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto, where Don Tapscott is Adjunct Professor of Management. As is often the case, we arrived early to get our equipment set up and tested before the interview actually began. When we first arrived, Don was engaged in conversation with a client that his company works and consults with. No sooner did that meeting end, Don was back on his computer, seemingly deep in thought. Alex arrived about 10 minutes before the scheduled meeting and was flagged down for a conference call that he quickly took before our meeting began. With the hive of activity around these two, I truly wondered if we would be starting at the 11:00 am scheduled time. Alas, at 10:58 both Don and Alex were in their seats and we did a couple of minute’s sound tests before pushing record at the 11:00 o’clock scheduled time. Needless to say, the time management of these two was super impressive!
Before we started, I asked their publicist if I should direct any of my questions to one or the other Tapscott and was wisely advised that they work like a finely tuned piano, knowing which one should answer the question being asked. These guys are so in sync with each other, that at the end of the interview Don exclaimed ‘I’m now convinced that only one of us needs to show up for any particular interview’!
We spoke for about 40 minutes, it was engaging, interesting and fun. At the end, we did the shaking of hands, picture taking and off they went again, Don deep in thought while Alex was heading to another meeting across town.
I hope you enjoy this interview with Don & Alex Tapscott, Inspiring Canadian Technology Thought-Leaders.
Noteworthy Questions Asked:
- What does Bitcoin and blockchain mean (3:10)
- Help us understand what a blockchain of information is (8:00)
- Is blockchain an opportunity distribute global wealth (15:08)
- What’s happening with blockchain in Canada in 2017 (21:10)
- You can live anywhere, why do you choose to live in Canada (32:20)
- What advice to you give to Canadians striving to be the best they can be (34:10)
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- How the Bitcoin technology of blockchain is formed
- Biggest obstacle to wealth creating is land ownership and how blockchain can remove that obstacle
- Politicians have thought in terms of distribution of wealth, whereas blockchain pre-distributes wealth, changing the economic paradigm
- Canada is perfectly positioned to become a global eco-centre for blockchain development
- Don’t chase happiness, rather do the things you love to do and happiness is the fall-out of that activity
Keep Crushing it Canada,
Dave Morris, Host